This simple but hearty salad is bursting with flavor and addictively delicious! Perfect salad for meal prep or feeding a crowd. Easy to prepare, the broccoli is perfectly “cooked” but crunchy broccoli and so flavorful! Note: “Cook time” is the broccoli resting for an hour after being tossed with the hot garlic oil.
Active time: 20 minutes
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family, Vegetarian
Serves: 6 servings
- 1½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 4 cups broccoli florets, preferably cut into bite size florets
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fat garlic cloves, minced
- Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- ½ – 1 teaspoon oregano (add more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme or more to taste
- ½ -1 cup feta, crumbled
- ½ cup fresh basil, torn
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, stir together the vinegar and the salt
- Add broccoli and toss to combine
- In a large small saucepan, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, lowering heat as needed. Should take about 1 minute — remove from heat when garlic starts to brown
- Stir pepper flakes
- Pour ½ to ¾ of the hot oil over broccoli and toss well, reserving the remaining oil for later.
- Cover the bowl with the broccoli and let sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- After broccoli has sat an hour, add the chickpeas, sun dried tomatoes, oregano, pepper, remaining garlic oil, and thyme. Toss well to combine.
- Add feta and fresh basil, Toss to combine. Taste and add more of any herb or ingredient to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Stores well in the refrigerator in a sealed container for several days.